You are not logged in.

Thursday, May 2nd 2013, 6:21pm

Tradeskill Help

I understand that you can only have 1 master, and 3 adept. I plan to focus on cooking/alchemy, but since that would require 2 of the 3 adept slots..

I'm wondering if I should leave the gathering skills at 40, get alchemy and cooking to 60 (not sure on which to master yet), and rely on pet harvesting and planting to gather the higher level mats that I can't? If I do this, what's the highest level of mats a pet can gather, and how efficient/difficult is planting?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated too.

Cike

Rogue

Thursday, May 2nd 2013, 7:22pm

Quoted from "Kosner;599837"

I understand that you can only have 1 master, and 3 adept. I plan to focus on cooking/alchemy, but since that would require 2 of the 3 adept slots..

I'm wondering if I should leave the gathering skills at 40, get alchemy and cooking to 60 (not sure on which to master yet), and rely on pet harvesting and planting to gather the higher level mats that I can't? If I do this, what's the highest level of mats a pet can gather, and how efficient/difficult is planting?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated too.

you need the herbalism/woodcutting/smelting skills to refine the pet/plant mats for cooking/alchemy. I'd just make a "refining" toon for each type of mats, maybe even going further to make both a cooking and alchemy alt...yes, it does require shuffling mats around, but easier and you keep our main's backpack clean...or just keep gathering skills up on main, along with pet crafting, so you can do that while you play on main, then just send raw mats to alt for refining...

Thursday, May 2nd 2013, 10:18pm

What I did on both of my highest toons was do a trade type deal with a high level crafter or gatherer. Since my toons were gatherers, I would harvest what my cooking partner needed, he would craft, then split profits from what was sold with me. It was an easy way for me to make some cash and gave him a reliable flow of mats to use.

I can pretty much guarantee that any high level player who has a high level gathering toon would love to get some free hero potions for gathering for you. Same goes with the higher level foods.

Cike

Rogue

Thursday, May 2nd 2013, 10:22pm

tbh, most people trying to level skills or even have high lvl skills are more than happy to craft items/food/pots for free if you provide mats...

ik I have a couple deals like this with some of my crafter friends...

ArkanaROM

Intermediate

Thursday, May 2nd 2013, 10:39pm

Pets go upto (regular) 57 mats Thorn Apple, Rune Obsidian, Ancient Spirit Oak and (rare) 61 mats Goblin Grass, Mica, Aeontree Wood.

What I choose to do was to focus the "refining/gathering" skills on my main played characters since running round high level zones gathering isn't good for a lowbie alt, since then the XP gain from refining has gone up so it may be possible to level that way. Imo Cooking beyond lvl 50 is much more useful than Alchemy so if I was choosing between the two I would go for Cooking.

Planting is always good since it doesn't count towards your crafting skill limits and also as the high level rare mats can only be got from Planting/Gathering.

Saturday, May 4th 2013, 1:36am

Thanks for all the suggestion! It would make more sense for gathering to not count towards the tradeskill limits, but I guess that's just me. I would hate having to use multiple characters.. Pet gathering seems far too slow/expensive for a noob like me. Me and a friend play this game together so I'll see if one of us can be the gatherer and the other the crafter. Thanks again!

Cike

Rogue

Saturday, May 4th 2013, 1:42am

Quoted from "Kosner;599935"

Thanks for all the suggestion! It would make more sense for gathering to not count towards the tradeskill limits, but I guess that's just me. I would hate having to use multiple characters.. Pet gathering seems far too slow/expensive for a noob like me. Me and a friend play this game together so I'll see if one of us can be the gatherer and the other the crafter. Thanks again!

pet gathering is expensive and time consuming to level, but you get mats for next to nothing and no work at all, i love it...but hey, whatever floats ur boat
pointless link, not worth clicking

Open your mind before your mouth.

[insert link here]

Yes, there are other servers besides Reni.

just because I don't agree with you doesn't make my opinion any less valid

Saturday, May 4th 2013, 6:15am

I was thinking, since Hero Potion and Dragon's Banquet require mats that are 44 or below, couldn't I just get mining/woodcutting/herbalism to 40, Alchemy/Cooking to 60, and just craft the low level gathering pots (+5 to gathering for 600 seconds) to be able to gather the necessary mats? I mean it won't work on very high level stuff, but it'll give me all I need for Hero Pots (which I think is the best thing alchemy has to offer) and some good cooking stuff too. Then if I need to I can buy or get mats from a friend and split profit/use for all the higher stuff?

One other thing, if I was to go with the idea above, what should I choose for a third adept skill? I was thinking I could boost one of the gathering ones so it's less mats I'd have to buy, or I could throw in tailoring or something. If I did a gathering, herbalism is the most needed for cooking/alchemy right? Or would tailoring or something be a better option for more crafts?

Cike

Rogue

Saturday, May 4th 2013, 6:19am

that should work fine...
pointless link, not worth clicking

Open your mind before your mouth.

[insert link here]

Yes, there are other servers besides Reni.

just because I don't agree with you doesn't make my opinion any less valid

Saturday, May 4th 2013, 7:56am

You do know you can also buy mats from the vendors in merc square in OS with honor points from siege. I know a few people who do this.

ArkanaROM

Intermediate

Saturday, May 4th 2013, 12:08pm

Quoted from "Kosner;599950"

...and just craft the low level gathering pots (+5 to gathering for 600 seconds) to be able to gather the necessary mats?

Just in-case you didn't already know, whilst the pots you refer to will boost your gathering skills they won't affect your ability to refine the mats you gather. You need to be the correct level w/o pots to be able to buy the recipe in order to refine.

Quoted from "Kosner;599950"

If I did a gathering, herbalism is the most needed for cooking/alchemy right?

That's correct yes, Wood and Ore are the secondary mats respectively.