You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Runes of Magic US / AU. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Tuesday, November 17th 2015, 4:53pm

Fix the translation problems after merger?

Now that Palenque has merged with all the English servers, we are seeing a mix of Spanish in world chat. Most of us do not understand Spanish, but we can ignore the chat. However, any item they post is also in Spanish. Can you fix the translation so it at least showed the name of the item in the lanquage of the person seeing it?

Tuesday, November 17th 2015, 5:18pm

Well, the actual name of the item is calculated client side, then sent into a link. So what we would need is an addon, that translated every single piece of data whether item or skill, into the respective... Oh wait... The game has that already, someone like Peryl could make this in a day, for me It would take longer, but I do see your point... This addon would be mighty helpful, then again... You could just learn the keywords like mana stone and stuff like that, to figure out what they are linking. Colors remain the same too. I have a small idea on how to go about this, but without starting the project, have no idea how simple or complicated this could, be. Detecting a link would be simple... Translating may be simple, depending whether or not we can access the different system locales.

tl;dr There should be an addon for that, there isn't yet, but someone may develop one.

Tuesday, November 17th 2015, 5:21pm

Try playing on EU side where you have people from multiple countrie s linking items in all different types of languages. So if such an addon came out, I would use it for sure.
99/99/99/99/99/99 W/WD/S/D/R/M

Tuesday, November 17th 2015, 5:55pm

Hopefully someone makes such an addon. I have no clue how to make them.

Cike

Rogue

Tuesday, November 17th 2015, 5:57pm

1) you get used to it. learn a bit of Spanish. it won't kill you.
2) just click the link. it will display the tooltip in your own loca.
my r/p can outdps r/m. your name is stupid.

mages should stack dex. word.

Yrcanos

The Dungeon Keeper

Tuesday, November 17th 2015, 6:37pm

Try playing on EU side where you have people from multiple countrie s linking items in all different types of languages. So if such an addon came out, I would use it for sure.

Funny thing is though - we've managed to get by for over 6 years without such an addon... ;)

Tuesday, November 17th 2015, 6:45pm

Yea it doesnt bother me so much, but if i could see everything in english, i would ofc take the option.
99/99/99/99/99/99 W/WD/S/D/R/M

Tuesday, November 17th 2015, 8:56pm

wow
Magío • Mithras

Tuesday, November 17th 2015, 9:06pm

I like how Magio posted, "wow". Like What does that even mean. As already stated language differences can be overcome, simply by sheer exposure, however I will look into it, at the very latest this weekend... Something can be done, and I played around the outskirts of this issue when parsing links for item Id's based on charplan code. I think something could be devised, although my only concern is having to document every single item in game, ever. Which is a pain, even with a pre-mined database holding ID's.

Edit: Had a possible stroke of genius. I'll try something in a few hours to see if I can get it to work. Perhaps this really is as simple as it sounds.
Double Edit: code works, just cant replace the in-line arg1 without some help, WTB post from someone who is rather knowledgable

This post has been edited 3 times, last edit by "ftwoplay" (Nov 18th 2015, 3:58am)

Heron

Game Administrator

Tuesday, November 17th 2015, 9:41pm

WTB comment from Peryl? The cost is probably one post in the addons forum.

Cheap at that price.

FarmerTom

Professional

Wednesday, November 18th 2015, 2:34am

a post from lemonator right now would be perfect. miss his posts. qq
Misguidedknight 72S/72K/70R Retired
Cerburus 100Wd/100S/100W/100R/100D/70M
Misguided 100CH/100R/100M/68WL/88P/52W
Sober 100K/60P/60W <-best toon name for anyone that knows me :)

Once proud co-leader of Exiled Demon Horde.
Been on multiple servors
Started playing around lvl 55 Cap...

Easycompany

Wednesday, November 18th 2015, 6:53am

Well, I'm not Peryl - but the ones that are wanting an addon like that might want to take a look here.
Mithrandir - Warden/Warrior/Scout/Druid 95/95/95/87 (Dochas) - yes, I'm german :P
Creator of RaidHeal (Curse)

Wednesday, November 18th 2015, 9:24am

Language unifies or divides people more than anything, even race. If some people want to speak in a language that they know only a certain group can understand, then I just blacklist them because they are essentially telling me that they don't want to have anything to do with me. Oh well, life goes on.

Sarkas

Event Manager

Mood: W00t

Wednesday, November 18th 2015, 10:58am

Language unifies or divides people more than anything, even race. If some people want to speak in a language that they know only a certain group can understand, then I just blacklist them because they are essentially telling me that they don't want to have anything to do with me. Oh well, life goes on.

And what if they aren't able to communicate in a different language? Before I started to play Runes of Magic, I didn't understand a full sentence in english. And if you think now, RoM teaches you english, nope. The understanding of your fellow players makes you want to communicate, not the forced ignorance upon them.

I can haz party hat - Runes of Magic US Event Manager & Super Game Master
Support | RoM Terms of Service | RoM Forum Rules

Quoted

[13:53] <@Kiranos> afdösfdjksfads
[13:53] <@Kiranos> that was my head hitting the keyboard

Wednesday, November 18th 2015, 4:40pm

Everyone who wishes, should follow the instructions indicated in hoffmale's first post here. (AKA first reply to the thread.)
Replacing arg1 on a chat event.

This fixes the issue, and does so without disrupting other addons. From what I have been able to dig up from the past, and what I recall, this seems to be an acceptable, legal solution to the problem. Problem resolved, thanks to hoffmale, and a bunch of code, that I wrote, that never actually 'did' ultimately what it needed too.

michele19

Intermediate

Mood: Smile

Wednesday, November 18th 2015, 9:27pm

If I want to know what is being linked, I click on it tada. :)

I remember running Sardo with a guy that didn't speak English, we needed him to lightning a mob but getting him to understand was impossible. Unfortunately the person who started the pug was a hothead so he ended up kicking the guy from party.
I thought it was hilarious, multiple party wipes due to a language barrier :lol:
Holyanarchy - Guild Leader Heavensfury, Govinda Erebos

I could tell you what you want to hear, or I could tell you the truth... which do you prefer?

Cike

Rogue

Thursday, November 19th 2015, 12:38am

If I want to know what is being linked, I click on it tada. :)

I remember running Sardo with a guy that didn't speak English, we needed him to lightning a mob but getting him to understand was impossible. Unfortunately the person who started the pug was a hothead so he ended up kicking the guy from party.
I thought it was hilarious, multiple party wipes due to a language barrier :lol:

i remember doing entire runs with google translate in another window.

erebos is now a bilingual server. get used to it.

Thursday, November 19th 2015, 12:44am

If you don't want to interact with players that don't speak English just dont' interact with them it's that simple. One person or the other will either decide they need to interact badly enough that they'll change language or neither will and all is still well.
Borella - 100 W/M/S/R/P/K
VVV
If you play P/K in instances you're garbage

Thursday, November 19th 2015, 4:58am

could be kinda fun working rom gear names into a conversation.

Cike

Rogue

Thursday, November 19th 2015, 5:22am

could be kinda fun working rom gear names into a conversation.

most of them are "bossname_gloves" or "bossname_pants".

the boss names and other rom-specific proper nouns are the same no matter the loca (at least the ones using the english alphabet), and the item type doesn't really change forms.

seriously, it may seem annoying at first, but it's really not an issue once you are exposed to it for more than a day.