You are not logged in.

Applications: [GameMaster: OPEN] | [Volunteer Testers: OPEN]

/!\ We have moved to a new board. Come join us. This board is now in "archive" (read-only mode). /!\

Dear visitor, welcome to Runes of Magic US / AU. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Saturday, June 11th 2016, 10:13pm

Buff NPC

I just want to make a quick suggestion. Basically, I think there should be a buff npc that can give you all the buffs you could get from other players but that last 2 hours and that persist after death. Maybe you can pick and choose which you want for a small fee or maybe you can take them all as a kind of master buff for a larger fee.

Basically, I believe this would solve the problem of having to create alts for siege and running instances. I don't know about everyone else but I can only run one extra client so I can only get one extra buff for siege while others get tons of buffs. Also, if I crash during siege, having to relog two toons takes away precious time from siege. It would also allow me to get into the fight much faster as I would only have to pop my food and hero pots.

I think this would be a new and exciting change. I think it could reduce server load by reducing the alts being used, especially for siege. It would allow smaller guilds with less alts and players to run harder instances. It would make questing easier for lower levels, maybe starting at level 50, that have a hard time finding mid level gear. It just makes a whole lot of sense for a whole lot of reasons.

Of course, there might be some exceptions like soul bond. And I don't expect everyone to get a perm sprint or high energy barrier. That said I think everyone knows the buffs I'm talking about and I think it would be easy enough for the devs to figure out which ones to include. Such as the holy protection, awakening of the wild, the warlock all attribute buff, the priest hp and mdef buff, the matk buffs from mage and p/s, the accuracy buff from druids, and maybe a few others. Another bonus is I wouldn't have to run to castle when my holy protection runs out :)

ALso note it can be done many ways, maybe you could introduce scrolls, or some other mechanism to get the buffs. As long as it is affordable to all, persists after death and last an hour or more, I'd be happy. I guess it could be an Item Shop scroll if it was like 1 dias to 5 dias each I guess but that would kinda suck and defeat some of the purpose as in making it fair for everyone. But as long as everyone can get them with gold from a dias seller then it's not bad. Just please don't make them cost 45 dias each because that would suck hard.

I hope everyone will reply with a short post that they support this idea so the devs can see it's something everyone wants. I hope people don't go off topic or derail the thread with a bunch of opinions. I don't want to discourage discussion but you can make your own thread if you have tons of other ideas or thoughts on this suggestion. My point is that if the replies are people just fighting and it's not clear support for the idea we may never get this suggestion implemented. So please just support it or don't but keep it short, not like my long bleep post. ty :)

This post has been edited 6 times, last edit by "kokall" (Jun 11th 2016, 10:40pm)

Saturday, June 11th 2016, 10:54pm

side topic: it does have something to do with group play; you can't log more alts in to buff up but ur other guild members/friends should be able to so just decide who brings what alt to provide buffs.

main topic: it's a bad idea specially in sw where ppl will be facing p/r's that can purge of some of the buffs. can u imagine the QQ about how they paid for the buffs and now they r gone? and if u say that p/r's purge shouldn't work on the buffs... that's just nerfing a skill that should actually be buffed. it might seem useful in instances for low to mid lvl ppl but at end game it would just provide more easier burn which just wont be fun. specially when u include 20-30sec party buffs in ur list

Saturday, June 11th 2016, 11:00pm

Ya that's a problem I didn't consider but it might be the only problem and there may be a solution. Like make it a scroll that doesn't cost much. If someone removes my flower I don't cry that I paid for flowers. Same thing really. I wouldn't mind it being free myself so the cost doesn't have to be an issue.

As for the group thing, we already have alts to buff, it's the weaker guilds that have access to less alts. This gives all guilds equal buffing ability imo.

As for deciding who brings what alt into siege and deciding who buffs who, well that's difficult and distracting imo, this makes it so much simpler.

Saturday, June 11th 2016, 11:04pm

Quoted

This gives all guilds equal buffing ability imo.
This isn't a fault of the game.; you already have "equal buffing ability". The fact certain guilds can get additional buffs is the fault of players who don't make alts. The game devs shouldn't have to make up for this. If you want certain buffs, put in the effort to make the alts. The guilds that have more buffs than you put in more effort to have them.

Longer buff durations would make all players happy while still retaining the rewards of putting in the time to make alts.
Rovie wd/w/s/
Fiddydamage c/r/wl/p/m
Corruption
Artemis
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvw3IXqDgHoaK0lHJnyqBJQ vids of stuff

Saturday, June 11th 2016, 11:07pm

I didn't say it was the game's fault! It's simply a suggestion to make things easier for everyone.

I didn't say we don't have equal buffing ability! Obviously we do. But some of us are limited by our computers. It would be nice for devs to take that into consideration just like they allow for different screen resolutions. They should realize that not everyone can run 4 to 12 clients at a time for buffing with alts and that this causes an imballance. And then there's the lag that these extra alts add to the game.

For many it's no work at all to make an alt. Takes minutes in tosh for me. So I don't see that as an issue except that it makes it fair for those who don't have it so easy. The issue is relogging them into siege, swapping betweeen five screen, if you can run that many, it's all a bit ridiculous imo. It should be made simpler.

Obviously people with the advantage won't like the idea and say anything to make it sound like a bad idea but I hope it's obvious to most that this is an awesome suggestion.

This post has been edited 3 times, last edit by "kokall" (Jun 11th 2016, 11:29pm)

Meijf

Beginner

Saturday, June 11th 2016, 11:29pm

Awful suggestion. You're a pretty much saying we should just replace certain classes with a NPC. If you can't run multiple clients to get buffs, you can either have someone else do it for you, recruit those that play it as a main or you know, find a new guild. This has nothing to do with "making it easier for everyone", it's making it easier for yourself as you clearly don't wanna put the work in.

Saturday, June 11th 2016, 11:32pm

This suggestion wouldn't replace anyone. It just makes things simpler. Replacing someone is making an alt in the first place. There are other abilities besides buffs that classes have to help them get invite into groups if that's what you're worried about. If you're getting an invite just because of a buff that's pretty sad imo. And what happens when they get tired of you and make an alt? You probably shouldn't rely on buffs to get into groups. imo

This post has been edited 3 times, last edit by "kokall" (Jun 11th 2016, 11:43pm)

Meijf

Beginner

Sunday, June 12th 2016, 12:00am

I like how you edit your own post and report mine, it's all good :)

People don't make alts to replace someone, they make alts because they can't find someone capable of playing the class. Finding someone with a brain is hard enough, finding someone with a brain and a specific class is quite rare.

Sunday, June 12th 2016, 12:15am

People make alts for many reason you can't know everyone's motives. Bottom line is that alts can be made so people shouldn't rely on a buff to get into groups. So you have no argument imo.

Aqualink

Team Manager

Mood: Mellow

Sunday, June 12th 2016, 12:54am

Now now folks, let's calm it down a little. Please stay on topic and avoid bashing each other and this topic will get along just fine.

Support this way ; RoM Terms of Service ; RoM Forum Rules
Runes of Magic US Team Manager
Thanks to burd for prettiful avatar <3

Sunday, June 12th 2016, 2:48am

it does have something to do with group play; you can't log more alts in to buff up but ur other guild members/friends should be able to so just decide who brings what alt to provide buffs.
This.

Also, some people who want to play relaxed PVE, not invest too much in gear and still be useful do play the buffing class combos. I worry the change you suggested would mean they would be useless and could only start over with a new toon...

I understand that what you suggest would be convenient for you. Still overall I do not like the idea, sorry.
>>>> >>>> >>>>
>>>>
>>>> Please, bring back (bound if there is no other option) dias to AH! :thumbsup:
>>>> If you do this we will all love you forever. ;)
>>>>
>>>> >>>> >>>>

Cike

Rogue

Sunday, June 12th 2016, 2:53am

I for one like this idea, but with a caveat. the buffs provided are close to maxed, or not maxed. essentially, people playing the buff combos as main can still contribute, but the NPC is still worthwhile to use, and if you want a log a buff alt for a small bonus, it can still be done.

I'm thinking 5-10 levels below maxed level value (lvl 50 buffs are maxed).
my r/p can outdps r/m. your name is stupid.

mages should stack dex. word.

Mood: Love

Sunday, June 12th 2016, 5:07pm

Yes of course everyone should have access to level 97 buffs from toons, like Grace of life, Amplified attack, Embrace of the water spirit etc and not have to level any toons to benefit from these buffs.

So what would be the point of having players play other classes? let's all make W/S, M/W, M/Wrd, Rogues and get free buffs from NPC'S and make sure you kill the population of the game, since players will all play the same classes. Guess MMO doesn't mean what it used too and people want to play all by themselves. Just make people more lazy playing the game, great idea.

BTW Aqua you removed my first post and no where was i bashing anyone, i was posting an opinion and i didn't break forum rules with that post, put it back in please.

K/P/S/M/W 98/98/98/98/98
Disturbed guild leader on mithras :thumbsup:
BTW i do live under a bridge, i am Green, i can dish it out as good as i get
There are no better server than Reni, best place to be!!!!!

Rougetopriest

Professional

Mood: Squint

Sunday, June 12th 2016, 7:04pm

Buff alts, from a siege perspective, as I'm rarely a part of pve, is a guild venture. You should not have to supply all the buff alts u may want in siege. I for example always use all the buffs available to me in a siege war, however only really have to log 1 buff alt. Everyone who is able to tackles 1-2 alts that we think may be needed for competing in a certain siege. It conveys teamwork within a guild, and leads to more victories in my experience.

So I get what you're saying and its an interesting concept, however the same goal can be achieved if you divide the work between guildies rather asking the Dev's to take on the task. -1
Siege War Videos :)

Semi-Retired

~Zen

Cike

Rogue

Sunday, June 12th 2016, 7:59pm

saying buff alts promote teamwork is like saying ptoken dailies promote multi boxing/alts. it is less promotion and more requirement. that doesn't mean it benefits anybody with the current mechanic, nor does it mean that it is a good mechanic in general.

Rougetopriest

Professional

Sunday, June 12th 2016, 8:51pm

True, buff alts shouldn't promote teamwork, in often cases the exact opposite. However in my current guild I've seen it do just that. Everyone will ask around to make sure if someone can't bring a certain alt they can cover for them ect... While it's usually a thing viewed as solo play, working together to use buff alts works wonders, especially for people like OP who cannot multi-log clients.

Semi-Retired

~Zen

Cike

Rogue

Sunday, June 12th 2016, 9:19pm

yet I still ask, is this really a good thing? and/or does it make the bulk of the game more accessible to a wider audience (something that is killing RoM).

OP's suggestion essentially allows mid game and low tier guilds/players easier access to one of the defining distinctions between midgame and endgame (buffing to cap/buffing effectively).

what if the buff NPC gave buffs that a) were 5-10 levels below current level cap (lvl 50 buffs capped), b) last 2-3 hours and persist through death, and c) could only be obtained once a day (or some other CD. think zodiac buffs).

this does not make buff alts obsolete, it simply makes them not required.

Sunday, June 12th 2016, 9:57pm

Just add an npc that gives a buff allowing you to 1 hit one monster XD

Rougetopriest

Professional

Sunday, June 12th 2016, 10:22pm

From my experience, the fact that people who wish to be endgame but are in low/midgame, are there because either a) not enough time to play as a F2P. b) lack of knowledge with their class/buffs. In this case the buffs available in the game. It's not that they cannon use these buffs, it is that they aren't out there trying to discover them, or don't realize to what extent these buffs help you in the game. Buff alts are not hard to make for anyone at all. The problem you are describing is lack of awareness of them or lack of care, not difficulty to obtain.

The only way I could personally see this idea being valid is for the solo players out there who cannot multi-log. However this is an MMO... Why play it if you are completely anti-social and only do solo play?

Semi-Retired

~Zen

Tuesday, June 14th 2016, 1:01am

I vote no. We already have pots and buff food that take care of this need. Real buffs should come from toons, not npcs.