You are not logged in.

Applications: [GameMaster: OPEN] | [Volunteer Testers: OPEN]

/!\ We have moved to a new board. Come join us. This board is now in "archive" (read-only mode). /!\

Dear visitor, welcome to Runes of Magic US / AU. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

regentego

Professional

• "regentego" started this thread

Thursday, April 26th 2012, 9:37pm

Need some nerd help!

So yesterday my FPS dropped from its usual 54-60 fps to 10, it would do this for 5 minutes then go back to normal, then back too poo! My ping is 104, now im not a tech guy at all so im not sure if that's my connection or if my video card is going. I'm running a phenom quad core 3.4ghz, 8 gigs DDR3 ram and an out dated radeon 4250(not sure if it's that's right). I've had this card for years, but I have a good feeling this may be the cause.

So any tech savvy peeps who know why my FPS is so terrible please let me know.
Ebilone 72r/71s/61p Bloodlegion, Artemis
Destroyed Illuminati 8/15/12.

Thursday, April 26th 2012, 9:56pm

When I start to have computer problems, out of the blue, usually it can be attributed to a out of date video driver.

MEGAKICK

Trainee

Thursday, April 26th 2012, 9:59pm

When your FPS debacle occurs:

1. Open up task manager.
2. Processes tab
3. Sort it so the process that is using the most CPU is at the top (click CPU to do this)
- you'll be able to tell what process is being selfish with your CPU
4. Sort it by memory, ascending (largest at top)
- you'll be able to tell what process is being selfish with all of that memory of yours
5. Hop on over to the Performance tab
- How much free Physical Memory does it say you currently have?

Mind you, that will only tell you a small part of what might be going on. I'll leave the more specific detective work to the more tech-savy folk out there. Your connection is not the culprit of your FPS.

Inspired by your previous tech rants, I have to ask you this:

Is your computer on? What about the monitor?
And then Keanu Reeves walks in, and he's all like 'Whoa', and we're all like 'Whoa, it's Keanu Reeves!'
Xdrchris - 52/44 R/K - Breakteam (retired)
Easternpray - 63/60 M/D - Alliance
Zanar - 67/62/67 R/K/S - <3 noto

"I didn't even know Kim Jong was Il!"

Occupation: Network Administrator for a local NBC T.V. station.

Thursday, April 26th 2012, 10:03pm

Quoted from "regentego;527560"

So yesterday my FPS dropped from its usual 54-60 fps to 10, it would do this for 5 minutes then go back to normal, then back too poo! My ping is 104, now im not a tech guy at all so im not sure if that's my connection or if my video card is going. I'm running a phenom quad core 3.4ghz, 8 gigs DDR3 ram and an out dated radeon 4250(not sure if it's that's right). I've had this card for years, but I have a good feeling this may be the cause.

So any tech savvy peeps who know why my FPS is so terrible please let me know.

Sounds like your video cards GPU or your main CPU is getting over heated. Check to see if there is dust buildup on/under the fans and heatsink. Usually if your CPU is overheating some motherboards have a built in alarm which is why it's more than likely your video cards GPU getting too hot.
Quit 4/30/2011 Played GW2 Beta weekend. Not one crash, graphics settings were on full, and the PVP lasted anywhere between 30 seconds to 2:00 minutes per 1 vs 1. Oh and it's like siege war - but 24/7

Thursday, April 26th 2012, 11:08pm

yea what pazisfinished said...gpu-z/cpu-z will show temps pretty acurately. could also be adaptive power mode or a fail scheduled task.

sounds like throttling from heat though
WTS 1400 cards and 2 enormous fishbone aggs for some beef jerkie and a twinkie

MegaMouseSEC

Professional

Thursday, April 26th 2012, 11:52pm

I ahve to agree with the video/cpu overheating. If it is a desktop then you will need to blow the dustbunnies out of the heatsinks on both. Use dustoff or some other canned air. DO NOT use an aircompressor as it may introduce water into your computer. A laptop is a bit harder to do this to but it can also be done. Just locate the fan intake for your video card and the one for your cpu (some laptops use the same fan for both). Using a NEW can of compressed air blast throught eh intake making sure you see the dust coming out the exhaust. Now after that you should also blast the other way, from the exhaust towards the fan. If you can take a cover off the fan or fans do so locate the heatsinks and then blast them directly.
Dustbunnies are a computers worst nightmare. We must eliminate them all.
All who are on my ignore list are trolls and as such should crawl back under their bridges and leave the rest of us alone.

regentego

Professional

Friday, April 27th 2012, 2:00am

Thanks all, I got home touched my video card nearly burnt my hand, switched out to a ATI 4600 series, and its purring like a kitten.
Ebilone 72r/71s/61p Bloodlegion, Artemis
Destroyed Illuminati 8/15/12.

MegaMouseSEC

Professional

Saturday, April 28th 2012, 5:35pm

Cool Regen. May I suggset that you start saving up for one of the newer cards that will be released soon. I personaly am gathering the parts to rebuild my gaming machine and just waiting on the next gen of video cards to be released from ATI.
All who are on my ignore list are trolls and as such should crawl back under their bridges and leave the rest of us alone.

Kalvan

Super Gamemaster

Saturday, April 28th 2012, 7:26pm

Quoted from "MegaMouseSEC;527858"

Cool Regen. May I suggset that you start saving up for one of the newer cards that will be released soon. I personaly am gathering the parts to rebuild my gaming machine and just waiting on the next gen of video cards to be released from ATI.

I've found that people who insist on having the "latest and greatest" video card hardware, including dual, triple, and quadruple card setups (CrossFire and/or SLI) end up having far more game issues with RoM than those who have far more "vanillla" setups. Part of this is due to the age of the game client and the graphics engine, part of it is based on the stress that the extra hardware places on the rest of the system--mobo, CPU, and associated mobo chipset.

You're certainly well within your rights to spend all the money you want on your next computer. But don't be surprised if your actual in-game RoM performance doesn't seem to improve greatly with all the shiny, new, uber hardware.
[ New Sig Coming. Watch This Space! ]

regentego

Professional

Saturday, April 28th 2012, 10:19pm

Mouse, im one of those don't replace it till its broken, and don't buy it unless its on sale people. In other words im cheap and horde money, so when something else breaks I just buy a new one. I don't worry about money because I'm a tightwad as my wife likes to call me.Meanwhile my wife is a got a dollar spend a dollar person. So for me im fine with a card that's a few years old technology. My Brother in law just got some ruby something $800 card. Then again he works to live, and lives to game. Funny enough I play RoM on low graphics max distance. I'll never understand people talk about max setting on Crysis. As Kalvan said I'm just a vanilla guy, hold the whip cream and cherries.

MegaMouseSEC

Professional

Saturday, April 28th 2012, 11:50pm

Well my gaming machine is 3 years old and showing its age, so it is time to upgrade. Heck I cannot get the mobo drivers for windows 7 for it (asus has not updated the drivers for the PK5C in quite a while). So for me at least it is time for some new hardware. Plus the onboard sound is beging to flake out too. The onboard NIC went out some time ago but thankfully I had a FO card to use with my server farm.