You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Runes of Magic US / AU. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

remilafo

Beginner

• "remilafo" has been banned
  • "remilafo" started this thread

Wednesday, July 14th 2010, 7:05pm

Nemecis's -Every- Class Guide

Hello Fellow ROMers

Forum regs know how often new players (or new forum viewers) ask for build advice.

The problem with "LF X/Y build" posts is that many don't understand that "build" doesn't apply to ROM in the way it does in other games.

In other RPGs and MMOs (where most of us come from) you generally have attribute points, skill points of a finite number to spend on your character, so you have to make the most of them. Thus many new players come to the forums seeking "build guides" in this traditional sense.

ROM opperates differently in a few respects.

1. Talent Points(TP) is essentially infinite for our purposes. Once you reach max level (no longer gain XP) you continue to gain TP from quests and kills. As such eventually all skills can be maxed!

2. Attributes (Stats) in ROM are not "invested in" in the traditional sense. Each level you will gain a static boost to certain stats. Your secondary class also provides a boost to your currently selected primary in the form of 10% of their base stats being applied to the primary.
[INDENT]ie. S/R - Rogue has 100 of each attribute as it's base. The Scout therefore recieves a bonus of 10 to each attribute.
[/INDENT]The way folks modify stats is through gear modification and selection (the core of what this game is about).

"So what am I really looking for then?"

1. What skills are useful, and should be priorities in leveling:
[INDENT]Skills generally do not scale well with levels. Rank 0 is very powerful relative to rank 1. With each TP invested, skills get more and more expensive, and their relative power does not scale accordingly.

As such early on it will be hard to "max" (keep @ same level) more than perhaps 3-4 skills.

For this reason "rules of thumb" apply.

Many players keep 3-4 core skills within about 5 levels of their character.
The next most important skills are often kept within 10-15 levels.
Least important skills are either not leveled until much later, or lag 20+ levels behind.

What you need to glean from "guides" and class/build specific posts are how important skills are for your character, and prioritize your TP investment.
[/INDENT]2. What stats are most important:
[INDENT]Even within the same class, there can be times that certain stats are simply better for build X over build Y. Thus an understanding of what stats do is very desirable. Take a look at the guide in my sig, or theromwiki.com/Attributes for this information.

Once you have a handle on what benefits they offer, the decision is largely self evident. For more specific stat advice seek help from class "experts" in their respective forums.
[/INDENT]3. Elite skills:
[INDENT]The make or break aspect of many builds. Much like regular skills, some are worth investing in, others are not, and some come pre-maxed and require no investment.

Again, read and ask specific questions if unsure. Some elites are considered "must haves" and others garbage. Don't let the term "elite" fool you into thinking they should be maxed. Do your research.
[/INDENT]4. Skill rotations:
[INDENT]This is key to learning your class. Also learning skill rotations will help you learn which skills are used most often, and thus should be kept high until you're able to max them.
[/INDENT]5. the 50+ problem:
[INDENT]You'll quickly notice that after 50 the cost to upgrade skills becomes massive. You'll also notice you have massive amounts of TP to spend. The temptation is to continue as usual.

IMHO it is best to level all useful (not necessarily every skill, by 50 you should know the difference) to 50 before going any further.

This is especially true for casters who can effectively leave most "casted" skills at very low levels and still be relevant with a good weapon (because of how casted spells are calculated).

This will also give you time to reflect on the usefulness of skills, and focus your attention post 50 on the skills that will carry you into end game.

[/INDENT]Extra advice

(a) Skill Reset @ 30 - don't waste this stone too early. Yes you're 30 and starving for TP, it gets better and this is a vulable item to use later if you discover you've invested 50 levels in a skill you don't really need. Or if you decide to re-roll and want to recoup all your TP.

(b) Maximize TP bonus' - these are availble in the form of Potions, Housing Furniture, and sometimes "events" such as double TP weekends. It's tempting to maximize XP, but the more TP you gain relative to XP will maximize your potential.

(c) DO YOUR DAILY QUESTS - this is just sound advice in general. But many players find a "hump" around 28, 39, 44 and 55. This is often because they failed to diligently do their daily quests.

The number of actual quests in this game is not sufficient to level 2 sides to max level, you must make use of daily quests - and the tokens are absolute must haves for several reasons.

Final Notes

I hope that reading this guide steers you in the right direction, endables you to ask more pointed/relevant questions about your chosen class/build, and maybe even tought you something in the process.

GL
~nem

PS. Nem is back YAY!
[img][/img]

Main Character: Xerise Who is Xerise: (My Fav Comic)

Credits to ShenShiro for making me my Sig pic, TY so much!

aerieon

Beginner

• "aerieon" has been banned

Wednesday, July 14th 2010, 7:54pm

Actually for ME the hump was only at 39, and it wasn't because I didn't do dailys it was more because a) I took the advice others said and do your dailys on your 2nd class. :eek: b) I played way more then some folks played in the game soooooo I could only do dailys once a day versus someone that took the slow boat could do them again once a day but would get more use out of them. Also any new player will have a hump just post 55 (not sure on the exact level since I used DRT's and did quests on double xp), simply put not enough quests. It is enough quests if you have double XP thou. :mad:

I would also point out about leveling skills above 50, if the skill scales as in it is % based then it is a very good canidate to level beyond 50. If it is just a static number then it is a good canidate to leave stuck at 50 until you have the points to raise it.

As to the guide in general. I will say the same thing to other guides that are trying to "address" the newfolk problem. Basically put new folks have a very strong tendency of just simply posting a question and not even taking 5 seconds to even look at the forum. They post them in spots that would be obviously to a newt that it isn't the right place.

Quoted from "Temptress4d;238378"

5. You cant troll a troll.

Quoted from "Icarii;275286"

I didnt read all of this thread as I wanted to increase post count real fast before I hit the snooze for the night

Wednesday, July 14th 2010, 9:42pm

Wowzers, what did Nem do?

He was like one of the most active and greatest contributors to the forums.

Quoted

The insane gear-modding feature has that one-percent spending oodles of cash regardless of whether they can do the content without it. Why? Because RoM created an awesome system that lets players become as super-powered as they see fit. There are already groups of players that can down Manticos in as fast as five seconds. That's far above what's needed to be able to experience that level of content.

Wednesday, July 14th 2010, 10:41pm

Great guide! Thanks for posting it!

Wednesday, July 14th 2010, 11:56pm

Quoted from "FencerSuzuki;306080"

Wowzers, what did Nem do?

He was like one of the most active and greatest contributors to the forums.

Watch out, lol. Bans cannot be discussed in public.

Thanks for reposting the thread so it is an active thread.

blakjak02

Beginner

Tuesday, July 20th 2010, 10:44am

bump

i sadly just figured out what that means STFU.. heh its a sticky

or we could talk about why he got you-know-what >_> which is why i can't talk about you-know-who and his you-know-what for doing who-knows-what... if you-know what.. pm to you-know-who when you read this cryptic message about you-know-who and his you-know-what.... check out my signature if you-don't-know-what im talking about you-know-who and pm me about you-know-what if you-know-what happened.

ahahah waste of my time, but an epic bump.
First Lekani Set on Reni
First Dual wield Thorns of Yawaka

Quoted from "Swag;417632"

I think that Chapter IV is going to be a great renaissance for Runes of Magic and for Frogster. There are many things planned for 2011 and I think our players will be very happy with things that are coming this year. :cool:

Tuesday, July 20th 2010, 3:14pm

wth nemi got banned before me ?!??! WOW glad i dont play no more i'll stick to my spammer free game....
[/URL] [/img]

Nally W/S

Mizujii R/K

Tuesday, July 20th 2010, 3:55pm

Quoted from "blakjak02;308506"

bump

i sadly just figured out what that means STFU.. heh its a sticky

or we could talk about why he got you-know-what >_> which is why i can't talk about you-know-who and his you-know-what for doing who-knows-what... if you-know what.. pm to you-know-who when you read this cryptic message about you-know-who and his you-know-what.... check out my signature if you-don't-know-what im talking about you-know-who and pm me about you-know-what if you-know-what happened.

ahahah waste of my time, but an epic bump.

You must be a Harry Potter fan...

remilafo

Beginner

Tuesday, July 20th 2010, 4:55pm

Quoted

You must be a Harry Potter fan...

Arn't we all?

and twilight!
[img][/img]

Tuesday, July 20th 2010, 6:10pm

Well, I'll admit I liked the HP books (not the movies)...

But emo vampire soap opera? Thanks but no thanks.

nemecis

Trainee

Thursday, July 22nd 2010, 5:26pm

thanks for riding shotgun on this one Xerise :)
retired but lurking ;)

remilafo

Beginner

Friday, July 23rd 2010, 12:59am

ALRIGHT! you back for reals?
[img][/img]

nemecis

Trainee

Friday, July 23rd 2010, 4:26pm

indeed
retired but lurking ;)

remilafo

Beginner

Friday, July 23rd 2010, 5:46pm

oh happy panda day!

[img][/img]

risenwolfe

Beginner

Saturday, April 23rd 2011, 7:59pm

Thanks for the guide, especially that part about dailies. i hit 55 on the 500% exp and tp weekend. since then, ive been going on rom just to walk and around and do nothing. i am completely lost( not literally) , and cant think of anything to do. i dont know if ill be motivated to do dailies daily from now on but still... thanks.

definately hit the *hump* at 55:eek:

nemecis

Trainee

Monday, April 25th 2011, 5:07pm

might be prudent to stickie my original guide since remi is now banned - and won't be back from my understanding.

That or since I'll just respond to any questions in this thread, and update the original if ever necessary.
retired but lurking ;)

1 user apart from you is browsing this thread:

1 guests