You are not logged in.

ghostwolf82

Professional

• "ghostwolf82" started this thread

Thursday, May 16th 2013, 12:04am

A Guide To Playing A Warlock/Mage

As I have already covered the basics of playing as a Warlock, I will not be going over that in any of the following guides. I do however, recommend reading the section pertaining to this combo in that guide, as it may further help to elaborate some ideas for you. Each guide for the warlock combos will only contain pertinent information about that combo, and how to use the combo when wanting to hit Willpower Blade (WPB), and what to do/a rotation once in WPB. This guide is aimed at those wanting to play a Warlock/Mage.

Level all of the mage general skills to supplement the damage of your warlock side. All of them are useful to the warlock. Lightning can be kept to about level 20, as this is long enough of a stun for both PvE and PvP.

Once you have the 60 elite skill Blazing Barrier, make sure to use the mage buff Fire Ward for extra fire damage.

Once you have the 30 elite skill Focus Building, make sure to always have this buff on.

When fighting boss mobs, use the mage skill Intensification and the level 50 elite skill Thinking Overload.

Also, during boss mob encounters, use Perception Extraction four times to get the level 35 elite skill Soul Brand debuff on the boss mob to stack to four, and make sure to maintain this debuff at four stacks throughout the boss mob encounter for an extra 36% dark and fire damage.

Don't forget to use the mage skill Silence when needed.

**The rotation for a Wl/M during solo play, on trash mobs inside instances, or between WPB burns on boss mobs:

Quoted

Use Perception Extraction when you are low on Energy. The skill does cause a DoT, but as all DoT's do not scale well in this game, that is of secondary importance. I personally did not level this skill until everything else was all set to go, because DoT's don't really do much in RoM until you are endgame, and then it is just a nice filler IMO.

Use Heart Collection Strike when you are low on Energy. This skill causes a nice bit of damage, but try to not use it unless you are low on Energy. The reason for this is to conserve when you regain Energy. If you only need 30 Energy to fill your bar, you have just wasted 20 Energy on the use of this skill this time around. Using this skill only when needed really helps to maximize your DPS.

Use Fireball for quick instant skill damage. Just a nice add-in to the Warlock rotation.

Use Weakening Weave Curse on any enemy that does not have the Weakened Debuff. This debuff is important for the extra damage other skills cause when this debuff is applied.

Use Warp Charge with the Weakened Debuff on the enemy, and to give yourself the casting speed increase buff. This buff will help the rest of your rotation process through faster.

Use Flaming Heart Strike for a nice bit of instant skill fire damage.

Use Surge of Malice with the Weakened Debuff on the enemy.

Use Puzzlement for the damage and for 2 PSI.

Use Psychic Arrows for the damage and 1 PSI.

Once you have reached the first use of Surge of Malice, you should weave in Weakening Weave Curse, Warp Charge, and Surge of Malice when they are off cooldown to help increase DPS.

If you are looking to build up PSI to reach WPB, use Flaming Heart Strike (FHS) to gain 3 PSI, use Puzzlement to gain 2 PSI, and Psychic Arrows to gain 1 PSI. This will get you to the 6 PSI needed to hit WPB as soon as possible.

**Once in WPB:

Quoted

Use Soul Brand Sting which will cost you 1 PSI per use (so you can use this up to 6 times per WPB) and will reset the cooldown (CD) of FHS. Once the CD for FHS resets, use FHS. Do this six times for some serious damage while in WPB. Once you have done this, you will be out of PSI and will need to return to your normal rotation until WPB is ready to be activated once again.

The last time FHS is refreshed from using Soul Brand Sting, do not use it just yet. Wait until the WPB buff is gone to be able to get back into WPB as soon as possible.

For now, that is all. Thank you for reading this, hope you learned something here.

Have fun out there in Taborea everyone,
~GW :cool:

AddOn: DIY Combat Engine v2 AddOn: Auto Ding
Reni - Malkira
Warlock Guide
Retired from RoM with patch 6.1.0

sskilla

Beginner

Thursday, May 16th 2013, 12:53am

In raiding instance bosses, I suggest to not use the last open Flaming Heart Strike you get refreshed from your last psi point Soul Brand Sting.

The reason is to quickly use Psychic Arrow, Puzzlement, and Flaming Heart Strike (Refreshed from your last Blade rotation) and re-enter Blade for more dps.

Just a little detail most wrl/mages pick up in practicing the dps rotation.

Warlock/Mage/Champion ( 82/82/82 )
Currently gearing Champion/Warrior
Guild: Corruption
Server: Artemis
:cookie:

ghostwolf82

Professional

Thursday, May 16th 2013, 1:07am

I agree, and do this when playing my Wl/M as well. Good to point that out though, to make this a thorough as possible guide.

Reni - Malkira
Warlock Guide

Thursday, May 16th 2013, 5:53am

You should also add in that perception extraction, soul pain, and heart collection strike all cause soul brand to stack on the target. Definitely want to keep soul brand at max stacks on a boss for the sweet extra 36% fire and dark damage.
Nevistus 77r/72k/17p -Corruption- (Artemis)
Nevistis 77wl/58m
Corruption's third best r/k! I've been slacking, wl/m is my new passion.

ghostwolf82

Professional

Thursday, May 16th 2013, 9:48am

Also good point. Will add that into the guide. Totally forgot about that lol. So much to remember when writing up guides for all the combos in such a short time! ^_^

Reni - Malkira
Warlock Guide

Tuesday, July 23rd 2013, 6:54am

good to know.
Zymologist wl/ch/m/p
Matronmalice p/s/m
Ceviche wl/ch