You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Runes of Magic US / AU. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Grumpdaddy

Intermediate

• "Grumpdaddy" started this thread

Saturday, September 9th 2017, 8:17pm

Another thought on Mergers

WWould you prefer an intercontinental merger?

A total of 17 Votes have been submitted.

76%

Yes (13)

24%

No (4)

I have played with a lot of Europeans on the US servers. Latency is never a problem for them. We also have Aussies on the American server now without much complaint on the forum. My thought is, instead of merging to a single North American server, and then possibly merging again with the old UK servers, why not just go for a US/EU merger now. Of course it may take another few weeks to pull it off. We could merge with an English server. Quebecois players could request to go to the French server. Spanish players could request a Spanish server transfer. It might mean the non-English folks might need to join a new guild, or English language players in guilds with Spanish or French guild-leaders would end up orphaned until they rejoin.

I think in the end it will save us an extra disruption now, instead of going through it later. We also end up with even stronger server communities.

Yea or nay, folks?
Grumpdaddy-100/100/75 r/w/s Erebos
Grumpmama 100/100 m/r
Littlegrump 100/100/50 k/p/m
Grumptwo 100/100 r/k
Sneezzy 100/100 m/wl

Saturday, September 9th 2017, 9:13pm

Players on eu side are already trying to scrap Spanish and french servers and make one international, honestly I don't have an issue with merging with us either. However it is a lot trickier to do since eu and us are both on completely different networks and accounts db. A merge like this has however been donr before, so its definitely possible to do.
99/99/99/99/99/99 W/WD/S/D/R/M

Grumpdaddy

Intermediate

Sunday, September 10th 2017, 4:10pm

You are right about network and other issues. I think, though, unless GF figures out how to attract more new players, it is an eventuality. Merging the 2 US servers as a fix would not last long. The last merger down to 2 servers didn't help for long. I applaud GF trying to keep us afloat as long as possible, however other long-term games, like WoW continue advertising to attract more people. F-2-P should not mean no marketing budget.

That's my opinion. $2 plus my opinion won't even cover the cream on top of your Starbucks latte.
Grumpmama 100/100 m/r
Grumptwo 100/100 r/k
Sneezzy 100/100 m/wl

Mood: Love

Sunday, September 10th 2017, 4:30pm

Sadly merging only US servers together just shows how they want to milk the cow, cross their fingers and hope in unicorn land it will fix all issues, it will not. Merge all servers into one big server and stop messing around Gameforge :dash: . And people please do not talk about connection issues etc, the internet is so bad in the USA and being monitored 24/7 by your own government even when playing games, makes your internet even more crappy hahahaha. Playing on some EU servers and my ping is stable at 82ms on all 24 clients all the time without crashes etc. Canada and the rest of the world internet have the best connections to host servers without much issues.

K/P/S/M/W 98/98/98/98/98
Disturbed guild leader on mithras :thumbsup:
BTW i do live under a bridge, i am Green, i can dish it out as good as i get
There are no better server than Reni, best place to be!!!!!

Aqualink

Team Manager

Mood: Mellow

Sunday, September 10th 2017, 7:33pm

Zidlef has a point. Connecting to any EU servers from my US location brings me high latency.

EU has a big advantage over US - they have really fast internet (at least 5x faster than ours) for the same price. We pay nearly $250/mo for Gigabit internet...they get the same Gigabit internet at home for $50EU/month. They don't get latency when they connect to US. When we connect to EU though, watch out.

Would be nice to have a party system that crossed servers and regions - so you could team up with people to run instances from the EU server(s).

Support this way ; RoM Terms of Service ; RoM Forum Rules
Runes of Magic US Team Manager
Thanks to burd for prettiful avatar <3

Monday, September 11th 2017, 9:21pm

my 2 cents here, I've played some on the EU & ( now defunct AU ) servers back in the day and my ping stayed steady around 110ms with spikes climbing to 200ms... so not horrible by any means. So my vote is yes for a world merge.

FarmerTom

Professional

Monday, September 11th 2017, 10:50pm

We have aussie friends, and others from phillipine's etc, that play for years now that have constant 200+ to 300+ ping...

point being people don't care, merge all servers together.
Misguidedknight 72S/72K/70R Retired
Cerburus 100Wd/100S/100W/100R/100D/70M
Misguided 100CH/100R/100M/68WL/88P/52W
Sober 100K/60P/60W <-best toon name for anyone that knows me :)

Once proud co-leader of Exiled Demon Horde.
Been on multiple servors
Started playing around lvl 55 Cap...

Easycompany

Grumpdaddy

Intermediate

Monday, September 11th 2017, 11:30pm

Just want to thank Aqua for your input. It is good to know that management sees the idea as a possible good approach as well. I had a couple accounts on Isiltar for a while. I doubt they survived that merger. So far, no one seems to object. Ask your friends to chime in. If GF needs to delay it a few weeks, it's okay with me to get it all over with.

I don't know that a single world server is necessarily the way to go, but bumping it down to fewer than we have certainly okay. There is a cost savings there and I certainly understand the financial benefits.

Keep voting peeps.
Grumpmama 100/100 m/r
Grumptwo 100/100 r/k
Sneezzy 100/100 m/wl

Tuesday, September 12th 2017, 12:27am

An interesting approach would be to have 1 channel in EU and 1 channel in the Americas per zone.

Each of the nations could have local login servers to reduce ping & replicate the databases.

Example:

Primary DB in Germany ( Read/Write ) <-- ALL writes go to this database

Americas DB in Florida replicates Germany ( Read only )

The servers would use 2 database pipes: 1 for reads & 1 for writes.

All of the reads would go to the local database server in Florida unless that server is down, then it reads the primary in Germany.
All of the writes would go to the primary database server in Germany.

This is just a simplified example, but it's generally how I design applications that need to act on data. This way, you can deploy another database server & have plenty of redundancy. If the primary ever goes down, one of the local servers can be promoted to be the primary & when the primary gets fixed, it can be re-promoted after replicating all of the data.

Tuesday, September 12th 2017, 11:16am

maybe before an international merge, pvp server only can be merged for international siege war, if US servers together now have big population with merge, pve should be fine, but sw wont be since they get same enemies too often, sw between us and eu would really spice things up

Challenger (r/m Hotdog), Oldass (wl/ch Exercitus)

Agenor

#nerffearcap, #nerf wl ibp set skill!

RIP Isiltir. Never forget.

Nuethil

Beginner

Thursday, September 14th 2017, 12:35am

I'd like to be able to fight the EU servers in siege. There's only 1 US server going to be left and that means we will only be fighting same server guilds. I would like to have more variety in siege opponents and server merges won't do that.
Mithras

Nueday
Serenity Guild - co-lead

RoMage

rustyx is lame rogue

Mood: Unsure

Thursday, September 14th 2017, 3:51am

We have aussie friends, and others from phillipine's etc, that play for years now that have constant 200+ to 300+ ping...

point being people don't care, merge all servers together.

People do care and ping and SW issues re main reason people rage quit.

People don't remember complains and folks ragequit after server was moved to Florida?!

It is terrible idea and very unbalanced, with EU players being quite ahead of NA side...

Thursday, September 14th 2017, 12:27pm

Server merges - It's a short term solution to a long term problem

Latency really isn't an issue since the few players left can't play more than 10 minutes before crashing in a mob fight.
I'd rather have latency than crashing

Cogen

Beginner

• "Cogen" has been banned

Mood: Smile

Thursday, September 14th 2017, 5:26pm

Server Merge Discussions

Stay on Topic or this thread will be closed!

Cogen
Runes of Magic Trial Gamemaster-US

To be clear, this thread had a cleanup. Some of the removed posts are now a new thread. A reply like 'stay on topic' is perfectly normal in such a case. All posts above this one are fine. -Heron

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Cogen" (Sep 14th 2017, 6:47pm)

Saturday, September 16th 2017, 4:15am

I play several games overseas games (Us - Japan) (US -UK) latency isn't a problem with a their client package

Grumpdaddy

Intermediate

Saturday, September 16th 2017, 8:22am

Maybe I should define latency as I understand it. When I worked for a satellite Communications company, Latency was transit time for data to get from source to target. If you are using geosynchronous orbit satellites, it is about 1/8 second to the orbit and 1/8 second to earth, so 1/4 second both ways. Responding to a mob or a boss would take 1/2 second for a round trip from player to server and back. I don't see that when I play in Europe.
Grumpmama 100/100 m/r
Grumptwo 100/100 r/k
Sneezzy 100/100 m/wl

Saturday, September 16th 2017, 5:53pm

I design and implement networks for a living and understand latency.

Figuring out latency is quite complex. And even ROM US servers have bad latency or time out issues the few times a year the GM's have events.

When I play on foreign servers is there lateancy. Yes
Does it impact gameplay. No
It all depends on how efficient the client package is.

aardvark3

Professional

Saturday, September 16th 2017, 6:28pm

Latency and other issues have to a large part gone away except on the rare times when there are a lot of people on the servers. As the number of players has dropped all my connection problems have vanished. Since the overall population has dropped to such a low level it may be possible to merge all servers into one without problems. The reason to have many servers is to provide good service to a very large population of players. Since ROM no longer has problems created by very large numbers of players there is no longer any reason for many servers. One server should be able to handle all of the remaining players.