You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Runes of Magic US / AU. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

KadyKat

Beginner

• "KadyKat" started this thread

Sunday, July 16th 2017, 8:22pm

Game freezes for me

For some reason the game freezes for me. I could be in mid jump and I freeze for a second or two then it moves again.It does this constantly.I've tried shutting everything down but the basics to see if that would work and nope it didnt help. I run other games with no issues ie rift,wow,sl and imvu but for some reason this one wont work right for me.I'm hoping some genius can help me resolve this as my friends play it and i'd like to join them.below are my specs

Windows 10
Intel i5 4440cpu@3.10 GHz
16 GB
Over 300GB in free space left

Graphics card is GeForce GTX 960
internet is fiber optic wired connection

Thanks

Sunday, July 16th 2017, 9:45pm

I'd say try lowering your video settings and see if it helps. Also, do you use HDD and if yes, how old is it? (My friend had problem with freezing, too, on a brand new laptop. Switched HDD for SSD, problem was solved. Maybe it was bad HDD.)

KadyKat

Beginner

Sunday, July 16th 2017, 11:18pm

My settings are all set at the lowest.Mine is a desktop,not sure I can afford to change right now. I'll just stick with rift or wow I guess :(

Thanks for trying

HDD is wdc Wd10ezex

Sunday, July 16th 2017, 11:48pm

It doesn't matter whether it's desktop or laptop. And I just realized that most likely you have HDD. How old is it?

KadyKat

Beginner

Monday, July 17th 2017, 12:17am

About three years old

Monday, July 17th 2017, 3:14am

If you haven't tried updating your video drivers, try that.

Besides that, if you really want to play, I would suggest buying a small (128GB) SSD and installing RoM on it (you can also install on it your other games if you want). This is what helped in my case.

Other than that, I'm all out of ideas. Let's see if anyone else can help.

KadyKat

Beginner

Monday, July 17th 2017, 3:46am

Yes drivers are all up to date.Thanks for trying

FarmerTom

Professional

Monday, July 17th 2017, 11:02am

The point of it all is someone should not have to "buy" a better PC, or better components, to play such an OLD game...
and the computer they are using works with every other game they play.... so again why spend money just to be able to try this game, when they can play 100's of others with no issues...
Misguidedknight 72S/72K/70R Retired
Cerburus 100Wd/100S/100W/100R/100D/70M
Misguided 100CH/100R/100M/68WL/88P/52W
Sober 100K/60P/60W <-best toon name for anyone that knows me :)

Once proud co-leader of Exiled Demon Horde.
Been on multiple servors
Started playing around lvl 55 Cap...

Easycompany

Saturday, July 22nd 2017, 11:45am

This happens to almost everyone.

People need to stop PC recommendations. It's got nothing to do with the PC, it's bad coding.

There is no fix

Saturday, July 22nd 2017, 10:28pm

This happens to almost everyone.

People need to stop PC recommendations. It's got nothing to do with the PC, it's bad coding.

There is no fix
While I agree that RoM's coding is not that great, I do not experience the kind of freezing that topic starter describes and that my friend was having. Yes, I freeze for a brief second occasionally, especially on high video settings. My friend was freezing every few seconds when moving or when casting spells. Switching to SSD helped. Is it possible that freezing was caused by bad coding? Yes. Did we fix it with a workaround? Yes.

aardvark3

Professional

Sunday, July 23rd 2017, 1:20am

Things that may help a little.

Avoid the big cities!!! even when using snoop even stopping at one can cause a freeze. It may not happen immediately but the memory leaks neat the big cities cause a lot of crashes not always at once but the freezes will come. When you get to where you want to play leave the game restart your computer and start again. The same is true always restart your computer before entering an instance. There are very bad memory leaks in the coding of this game that they have refused to fix. The problem is not your computer but the game. The same rules apply every time you change a character so you can use an alt. Doing these things won't fix the problem but may make the game playable.

Auros

Professional

Mood: Mellow

Monday, July 24th 2017, 4:41pm

Also, try one of the free-ware memory managers, they seem to help a little. I use 'Clean-mem' (caveat, not at my computer so going off of memory).
Govinda P/W/K/M 100x4 :pump:
Wl/R/M/Ch 100x4 :borg:
Wd/W/S 100/100/69 oh gawd, not again :pinch: ... and numerous others Semi-retired :pillepalle:
W/M 100/100 Glass cannon