You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Runes of Magic US / AU. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wednesday, May 2nd 2018, 4:55pm

Game closes on launch

For the past week or 2 every 2-3 sessions when I click play on the launcher the game window flashes up for a fraction of a second then the whole thing closes as if I'd never opened it. The only way to fix it seems to be to reboot my computer.

I'm hoping this is a known issue with a nice easy fix, but I'm rarely that lucky.

If this requires any system info I'll need to be told, in *for dummies* specific terms, how to post whatever's needed.

Grumpdaddy

Intermediate

Thursday, May 3rd 2018, 4:04am

A few days ago I was having trouble with the Item Shop. Fixed it in about 10 minutes taking advantage of Win10's cool diagnostics. Right click the little windows icon at the bottom. Choose System, and look for an advisory. Follow the steps to fix it. If that's not fruitful go back and click on Device manager. Check the status of your drivers, especially video drivers.

Also, the larger the game gets, the more resources you need. On my older computer I upgraded the 2gig DRAM to 4. It is the most that old motherboard can handle (sad but true). It helped to resolve a similar problem back around the middle of Chapter six.

You might also see if setting the video to the lowest resolution setting makes a difference. That can be useful for diagnostic purposes. I have also removed a couple add-ons that caused me to crash within 2 minutes every time. Do you have any new ones?
Grumpdaddy-100/100/75 r/w/s Erebos
Grumpmama 100/100 m/r
Littlegrump 100/100/50 k/p/m
Grumptwo 100/100 r/k
Sneezzy 100/100 m/wl

Thursday, May 3rd 2018, 5:07am

I use Win7 home premium.

I use the old Datum Memory Booster (just memory booster now).

I do not use any add-ons whatsoever.

DRAM? That a typo?

I get confused when it comes to memory but the Installed memory (RAM) is 16.0 GB. Comp's a few years old now but it was built to be a gaming comp. My parents got tired of helping me get a fried power supply replaced every 6 months or so on my old hunk of tin.

Grumpdaddy

Intermediate

Friday, May 4th 2018, 1:58am

DRAM is Digital RAM, used by the computer as a whole. 16 is more than enough. The other important RAM is VRAM, used by the video processor. Motherboards come with an onboard video processor, but if you don't have a dedicated video card with at least 1Gig of VRAM, RoM can cause an immediate crash. Video cards that are 2 or 3 generations old are very affordable online at places like bestegg.com and tigerdirect.com. More VRAM is better.

Also, consider upgrading to Win10. I don't know it is necessary, but it can't hurt. Win7 is no longer getting updates from MS.
Grumpdaddy-100/100/75 r/w/s Erebos
Grumpmama 100/100 m/r
Littlegrump 100/100/50 k/p/m
Grumptwo 100/100 r/k
Sneezzy 100/100 m/wl

Friday, May 4th 2018, 3:30am

Not until I have to. Updates to Windows are generally downgrades. :P

GeForce GTX 950 kept updated.

40k MB custom set virtual memory for windows use, though I dunno if that affects anything here.

Friday, May 4th 2018, 6:35am

Video cards that are 2 or 3 generations old are very affordable online at places like bestegg.com and tigerdirect.com.
I agree with checking out the video card. I had to replace one a few months ago, and while I was waiting for my new one to arrive, my computer wasn't able to run any games. If I tried to run rom, it would close just as you stated, but it was every time. This might mean you have a dying GPU if it only happens sometimes.

The thing I'd be wary of is that in late last year and early this year, the prices of GPUs skyrocketed due to cryptocurrency (you can Google it). They seem to be coming down now from what I am seeing, but they still going down. May be in your best interest to wait a bit to see if it continues and figure out exactly if your video card is the problem while saving a few bucks.

Also, I think the sites mentioned in above quote are "bestbuy" and "newegg" combined to bestegg. There are plenty of sites out there that will give you the lowest prices available for them like pcpartpicker.
Playing again in 2018
Mattyb
Mage/Knight
Artemis server
Former The Black Tower Leader and Tarrasque Rank
Serenity Guild Member
<3

Friday, May 4th 2018, 9:56am

Hmmm, a dying card is possible, though i wouldn't have a clue how to figure out if it was the cause.

If it /is/ the cause I'll haveta live with rebooting as there is zero money available right now to replace the stupid thing.

The 950 was a relatively new replacement for a 780 that fried about a year ago.

1 user apart from you is browsing this thread:

1 guests